History of Indian Salwar Kameez | Indian Salwar kameez History
Written by Anamika
Salwar kameez is one of the most popular traditional attire of South Asia. Women from countries like Pakistan, Iran, Iraq etc prefer wearing salwar kameez more than any other South Asian country. With saree ruling the Indian ethnic clothing sector for centuries, it has overshadowed the on-growing popularity of salwar kameez. But in recent times, various experiments done on Indian salwar kameez has brought this traditional silhouette back in the limelight.
This three piece India dress comprising a kurta, a salwar and a dupatta dates back to the Mughal's reign. If the origin of this attire is traced, one will find that history has announced it as a Muslim dress. The Muslim Dynasty of Turko Mongols when invaded the northern part of India, they brought with them this conventional Muslim dress. With the emergence of Mughal empire, this dress underwent numerous change in terms of enhancement of textile, embroidery and design. Other than the Mughal inspirations, Indian clothing and textile has also observed a great influence of Persian styles.
In that era, along with women Indian suit designs then were also worn by men. Today's Salwar designs available online at various shopping websites are the result of metamorphosis that this silhouette has undergone from being a pair of fitted trouser in the Mughal era to the existing baggy style loose pants.
But a continuous change in fashion trends has resulted in the latest innovations in Indian salwar kameez designs. Earlier Indian salwar kameez was worn Angarakha or Anarakali style kurta/kameez and today you'll find a number of variations in kameez designs ranging from A-line kurta, Anarakali, short kurti to extra voluminous kurta with asymmetric hem. In contemporary styles, out of the three piece of garments comprising Indian suit designs, dupatta is often not worn with many suit designs. Few latest designs in Indian salwar kameez designs are Afghani style suit, Patiala style suit, Anarakali suit and Churidar kameez.
Most Popular Fashion Posts
- Manish Malhotra Design, Manish Malhotra Sarees and Anarkali Suits 2012-2013
- Deepika Padukone in Saree and Deepika Padukone in Salwar Suits
- Indo Western Sherwani for Men and Indowestern Sherwani Designs 2012-2013
- Ready made Salwar Kameez Designs | Readymade Salwar Kameez Trends 2013
- Bollywood’s Latest Fashion Trend: Anarkali Salwar Kameez and Salwar Suits
- Latest Shoe Trends 2013 | Shoes Fashion 2012-13
- Deepika Padukone Lifestyle, Deepika Padukone's Beauty Secrets and Deepika Padukone Wiki
- Latest Hair Style Trends 2012-13
- Latest skirt Trends 2013 | Skirt Trends For Winter
- Latest Nail Art and Nail Polish Trends - 2013
- Ritu Kumar Designs Collection | Ritu Kumar Designer Sarees and Suits 2013
- Anarkali Churidar Suits Designs 2013
- Groom Dress Up: How To Be A Stylish Indian Groom
- Latest Nail Polish Colors Trends 2012-13
- Latest Blouse Designs: Attractive Saree Blouse Designs for 2013
- Navratri Special Chaniya Choli, Navratri Special Dresses and Navratri Sarees
- Skin Care Blog for Skin Care Tips
- Charlize Theron's Lifestyle, Charlize Therons's Beauty Secrets and Charlize Theron's Wiki
Get Daily Fashion Tips via Email
Latest Updated Fashion Posts
- Wedding Lehenga Trends in 2014
- The Latest in Bollywood Style Sarees
- Blue Color Sarees Trend!
- Choosing the Perfect Kurta this Diwali
- Different Type Of Indian Kurtis
- Half And Half Sarees, A Traditional Garment For Traditionally Beautiful Women
- Karwa Chauth Special Sarees 2013
- Navratri Chaniya Choli and Navratri Dresses: Adds the Charm of Ethnic Garba Dance
- The 5 Most Wearable Winter Fashion Trends for 2013
- Skirts : Evergreen Fashion for Women
- The Virtual World of Biba Clothing!
- The Top Ten Clothing Brands Worldwide
- Navratri Dresses: Glamourous Traditional Navratri Chaniya Choli
- ShopImagine, The Online Boutique Store, Shares its take onTrends
- Indian Etnic Wear In Once upon A Time In Mumbaai Dobara
- Skirts : The Only Fashion Trend That Never Died
- Perfect Lehenga Choli inspired from Indian Bridal Fashion Week 2013
- Raksha Bandhan Dresses for this Festive Season
- Indian Menswear Outfits in Stylish Designs
- Jodhpuri Suits: When to Wear Jodhpuri Suits
- Shopping Guide for Indian Lehenga Choli | July 2013